House Fire? What You Can Do Until Restoration Help Arrives
A house fire can be devastating and leave you in a panic to put things back together. Many people start trying to clean up the mess right away but sometimes trying to clean it can cause more damage.
Here is what you can do until restoration help arrives
- Limit movement in your home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas.
- coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs or wet carpet.
- DO NOT wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- DO NOT shampoo carpets or upholstery.
- DO NOT clean any electrical equipment.
- DO NOT send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
The first 48 hours after a fire can make the difference between replacing versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Tri-Cities West can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO professionals provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to content claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.