Fire and Smoke Cleanup 101
Tips That Can Help You After Fire And Smoke Damage
Fires, even small ones, create a great mixture of cleaning challenges because of the ways smoke and flames interact with the environment. The materials being burnt, heat, oxygen, moisture and gases interact to form smoke residues, unique chemical reactions and unique soot. SERVPRO is the expert in the proper cleaning techniques for each unique item damaged caused by a fire.
Here are some great cleaning tips and tricks for you after you have suffered from fire and smoke damage.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible
- Restrict movement in the area to avoid soot from being ingrained into carpet, upholstery and fabric.
- Use gloves when touching items. Sometimes the ash and chemical reaction with oils from your fingers will leave a permanent fingerprint on items.
- If your electricity is off, remember to remove all your food and brace the doors open to help avoid strong odors
- If it’s winter and your heat is off, winterize your pipes as soon as possible to avoid frozen pipes
- Keep your HVAC system off until it can be cleaned and serviced by a professional
- Don’t attempt to wash walls, painted surfaces, shampoo carpets, clothing, fabrics or upholstery without first contacting your SERVPRO professional. Sometimes using wetting items will actually permanently set the soot and smoke.
- Don’t turn on fixtures, appliances or electrical switches if there is water in the structure from the fire rescue attempts. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock. First consult with a trained and reputable fire restoration technician.
- Don’t consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Don't toss out items even if they seem destroyed. SERVPRO can often restore these items using state of the art techniques and equipment, including irreplaceable documents and pictures.
- Don’t wait to call SERVPRO; your local experts on fire damage restoration. When fire damage takes control of your life, we help you take it back.
SERVPRO... The brand you know and trust.